STV referendum
1 2 3
 STV referendum
communist
communist Member (782posts)
5/13/2009 3:17:00 PM
quote:
I bit this communist windbag is pissed and how resoundingly STV was defeated this time around.

Pretty much. I was still naively hoping that there are some intelligent voters out there.

quote:
Pretty sure it was only defeated because people are afraid of change and too lazy to educate themselves on the issue.

Pretty much.

quote:
too complicated

Wow. Yes, writing a “1” instead of an “X” is really going to stretch your abilities.

quote:
Last time around it almost passed. This time it was resoundingly defeated. This isn't because people "didn't educate" themselves. It was defeated because they did.

I’m amazed that you could know this. Where did you come across this knowledge?

Also, who do you think came up with BC-STV, and what were their motives? Why did every party leader support it? Why did some independent businessman pay stupid amounts of money to sway the public away from it with an ad campaign?

quote:
It just seems to overly complicate an already complicated process and people fear change.

The voting process is complicated? I’d love to see some of these measuring sticks. Voting is not complicated. BC-STV is not complicated either, it’s just more complicated than a ridiculously simple process.

quote:
I think people in less-populated regions liked the idea of massive ridings even less than in the cities.

Less-populated ridings were convinced to vote against it on false pretenses. They were told that they would lose voting power. This is in fact true, but it overlooks the fact that they currently have too much voting power. Consider a simple example: if one riding has a population of 50,000 and another has 25,000, then people in the second riding have twice the voting power. Also note that 24,000 votes in the first riding could amount to nothing while 12,501 would guarantee a seat in the second riding. So much for equality.

But what difference, generally speaking, does the size of a riding make? Especially since the number of MLAs per unit area is not changing, it makes zero difference.

_stranger_
_stranger_ Dancer (38126posts)
5/13/2009 3:29:00 PM
communist is racist against rurals.

_stranger_
5/13/2009 3:30:00 PM
quote:
Where did you come across this knowledge?

It's pretty easy to infer that if X number of people voted one time for nothing and half as many (of those same people) voted the second time around, that people changed their minds.

shmoove_cwiminal
shmoove_cwiminal Member (7794posts)
5/13/2009 2:32:00 PM
The voting process is complicated? I’d love to see some of these measuring sticks. Voting is not complicated. BC-STV is not complicated either, it’s just more complicated than a ridiculously simple process.

Sorry, once again I thought you were smart enough to understand a simple point: The public likely felt it overly complicates the electoral process. I mean, that's what it's about, right? It's not just about "voting".

Again, people fear change, especially during a recession. STV's time will come. It's progressive and more democratic. All that's needed is a better PR campaign.

_stranger_
5/13/2009 3:35:00 PM
More people, like communist, saying 'rural voters have too much voting power' will certainly do the trick.

InfectedRectum
InfectedRectum Member (8978posts)
5/13/2009 2:40:00 PM
fyi, no one cares

communist
5/13/2009 4:26:00 PM
quote:
communist is racist against rurals.

I believe you are looking for the term “prejudiced,” since racism is a specific form of prejudice that doesn’t apply to “rurals.”
I said nothing about “rurals.” I said people in less-populated ridings. And my point is irrefutably true. Whether these ridings are rural or urban is beside the point.

quote:
It's pretty easy to infer that if X number of people voted one time for nothing and half as many (of those same people) voted the second time around, that people changed their minds.

Yes, we all know. If you were semi-intelligent, you’d realise that I am capable of observing the obvious, so my question was not about whether or not they changed their minds. We all know they did. My question was:

Where did you come across the knowledge that the reason that their minds changed is that they educated themselves.

And now paraphrased, but I am sure you will just answer a different question anyways: How do you know that education caused the change?

quote:
Sorry, once again I thought you were smart enough to understand a simple point: The public likely felt it overly complicates the electoral process.

The public may believe that it overly complicates the electoral process. But why should the public care about how complicated or simple the electoral process is? It has no relevance to them. What are relevant to them are fairness and the voting process. If we can increase fairness with minimal complications to the voting process, then why worry about how complicated the electoral process is?

quote:
I mean, that's what it's about, right? It's not just about "voting".

For the general public, the issue of FPTP or BC-STV is only about fairness and voting.

quote:
More people, like communist, saying 'rural voters have too much voting power' will certainly do the trick.

More people, like _Stranger_, inventing quotes and attributing them to others will decrease their credibility and make themselves appear even stupider than they already appear.

quote:
fyi, no one cares

True. But pointing out truths is easy. Finding their underlying causes and addressing them isn’t.

_stranger_
5/13/2009 4:55:00 PM
what a humorlous, rigid wind-bag. Is this guy for real?

communist
5/13/2009 8:09:00 PM
quote:
what a humorlous, rigid wind-bag. Is this guy for real?

Way to avoid the issue, again.

Foff
Foff Member (3166posts)
5/13/2009 10:23:00 PM
quote:
we're going to end up with a big circle-jerk of finger pointing within each riding of who's responsible for what.

sounds like what we have already. i can't remember whether i voted for or against stv last time, but wasn't it for a municipal election? i can't recall.
i'm all for stv, too bad anyone who supports either of the two competing parties won't.

i voted against campbell..for the ndp, yes to stv, but only because i support the greens. f'n politics..

mythos
mythos Member (24527posts)
5/17/2009 2:14:00 AM
stranger would have a point if the reps for each riding actually spoke for and made a difference for the particular riding.

mythos
5/17/2009 2:31:00 AM
his other point about communist is dead on though.

communist
5/19/2009 2:33:00 AM
quote:
his other point about communist is dead on though.

I'd love to hear your attempt to defend this. But I'm growing tired of this forum... I'd find a smarter group of monkeys in BCIT's business classes.

mythos
5/19/2009 12:21:00 PM
you type too much and over analyze the situation like we're in some sort of plato school of thoughts.

people are busy.

i recommend http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/ . i also recommend that you use a username without the word communist to avoid being categorized.

communist
5/25/2009 9:39:00 PM
quote:
you type too much and over analyze the situation like we're in some sort of plato school of thoughts.

Well, yes I clearly type too much for the folks on this forum. And yes, I did assume the people on the forum were semi-intelligent, and perhaps in some cases even educated. I clearly over-stepped. Some of them obviously don;t even conceive of what it means to be educated.

quote:
people are busy.

Being busy is one thing. If you're going to take your precious time and type unintelligent crap, then I see that as doing less good than typing semi-intelligent opinions, or perhaps even trying to learn something.

quote:
i recommend http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/ .

Cheers.

quote:
i also recommend that you use a username without the word communist to avoid being categorized.

Thanks for your opinion, but you are assuming that I don't want to be categorized. Better to identify the pigeon-holers early, in my opinion.

_stranger_
5/27/2009 3:18:00 AM
It's good that STV didn't pass.

1 2 3
Wanna add a comment?

Or Sign up to Clubvibes